Thursday, October 27, 2005

The ongoing internal debate over lexapro...

I think that's a definite no throughout pregnancy, and sadly a probably no while nursing :( I keep going back and forth on this.

I've lived with depression throughout a lot of my childhood, most of my teen years, and all of my adult life. When you're depressed, it's really difficult to get yourself motivated enough to get help. For me (and I think this is pretty common too) it was also difficult because I bounced around from feeling like I didn't deserve help or didn't deserve to feel better and feeling like I shouldn't need help, to thinking I should just be able to decide to feel better, to feeling like some people just aren't happy people, and that was just how I was *supposed* to feel. Last year I had an "event" which made it pretty much impossible not to get help, and I managed to get myself to a doctor who prescribed lexapro. It changed my life completely. I was a totally different person. Some people would say I was no longer myself, but I really do think it's more like I was finally myself. After doing really well on the lexapro for 9ish months, we decided we were ready to have a baby, and I decided I needed to go off the lexapro in order to do that. I've been off it for 3 months now, and I am again a totally different person. I feel like I'm managing it better at the moment and I'm hopeful that I can continue to manage it without medication, but I really miss it.

Anyhow, this was my point:

from http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/lexapro_wcp.htm

Pregnancy-Nonteratogenic Effects

Neonates exposed to LEXAPRO and other SSRIs or SNRIs, late in the third trimester, have developed complications requiring prolonged hospitalization, respiratory support, and tube feeding. Such complications can arise immediately upon delivery. Reported clinical findings have included respiratory distress, cyanosis, apnea, seizures, temperature instability, feeding difficulty, vomiting, hypoglycemia, hypotonia, hypertonia, hyperreflexia, tremor, jitteriness, irritability, and constant crying. These features are consistent with either a direct toxic effect of SSRIs and SNRIs or, possibly, a drug discontinuation syndrome. It should be noted that, in some cases, the clinical picture is consistent with serotonin syndrome (see WARNINGS).

When treating a pregnant woman with LEXAPRO during the third trimester, the physician should carefully consider the potential risks and benefits of treatment (see DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION).

Labor and Delivery

The effect of LEXAPRO on labor and delivery in humans is unknown.

Nursing Mothers

Racemic citalopram, like many other drugs, is excreted in human breast milk. There have been two reports of infants experiencing excessive somnolence, decreased feeding, and weight loss in association with breast feeding from a citalopram-treated mother; in one case, the infant was reported to recover completely upon discontinuation of citalopram by its mother and, in the second case, no follow up information was available. The decision whether to continue or discontinue either nursing or LEXAPRO therapy should take into account the risks of citalopram exposure for the infant and the benefits of LEXAPRO treatment for the mother.

No comments: