Thursday, December 22, 2005

It's all good

So, tuesday evening we had a REALLY positive OPK. Yay! Then wednesday morning was positive again, as has been the trend. Everything was looking perfect. We went for our IUI at 10:30 wednesday morning (that's yesterday, folks) and our sperm wasn't there. Doh! Well, no problem really. It was guaranteed to arrive by noon, so it wasn't *that* long to wait. We had figured it would get there earlier because in the past it has arrived by 8:30am. What we obviously forgot to account for was the holiday package frenzy that fedex would be dealing with. So, we went to breakfast and then did a little shopping and went back at 1. We got to use a new room on the surgical side of the office since they had to work us back into the schedule and all the regular rooms were taken. So, we had the insem, which was less comfortable than usual. I suspect I'm just becoming more of a whiny baby about it and it wasn't *really* any more uncomfortable than usual. Then, we get a surprise. With no prompting from us (which she wasn't going to get this time around) our wonderful inseminatrix asks if we want to do a Trigger shot. Yay. I am, of course, terrified. I can't really say no, because then if I were to not get pregnant this month, I would always blame myself. And I *want* to have the shot, but everyone says they hurt really bad, and I'm not a big fan of pain. So, for the record...it hurt NOT AT ALL. I was a little irritated at all the people who have written in some place or other that it was extremely painful. I mean, I'm laying there, holding susan's hand and I feel a tiny little prick and she asks, "How was it?" And I say, "It's over?" Now, it did sting a bit after a minute or two, but that is not the type of pain that bothers me. It built up slowly and then disappeared within ten minutes. I should mention, that the nurse at our wonderful doctor's office gives the trigger in two shots (one in each cheek) so that it won't hurt as much. I guess it works. I doubt anyone would argue if you asked for it in two shots instead of one, so I'd do that if I were ever offered the trigger shot from someone who didn't already split it up. Anyway, the point. EVERYTHING should be right this month. No room for error in the timing with the trigger, lots of ripe and ready follicles, lots of time to relax and woo the razz. I should have two or three eggs up there waiting to be fertilized, so hopefully two weeks from now, I'll be reporting a positive pregnancy test!

3 comments:

Queenie said...

So what, exactly, is a Trigger shot? I mean, I can make some pretty good assumptions based on the name but I'm curious to know how it works & whatnot. (Although, beling blond, the link to the horse threw me off...) :-P

Susan said...

The trigger shot stimulates any follicles on your ovaries to mature and release. Depending on how close to maturation the follicles are when the shot is given, you'll ovulate within about 36 hours. Since we had already gotten positives on the ovulation predictor kits, we knew Julie was making luteinizing hormone (which means she was about to ovulate on her own), but the trigger shot is just like an extra step to help make sure we got the timing right. I think what will probably happen is that the LH surge reflected the first two follicles maturing and being released, and then the shot will either speed that up or make the third one get ready and pop. In either case, we should have multiple eggs ready to be fertilized, so I am really hopeful this month!

Queenie said...

Thanks for the explanation! It sounds like the trigger shot is even more involved than I had suspected. At any rate, I think it's a good sign that everything seems to be falling into place this month. Hopefully you'll have some happy news to report soon!