Thursday, February 09, 2006

Ugh.

Ok, so yesterday was the test. We thought it was going to be an HSG, but they did a Saline Infused Sonogram instead. Basically, it's the same procedure, except that instead of using dye, they use saline, and instead of xRays they do a sonogram. This makes it seem like it's a little safer, and it probably is.

This appointment was a nightmare. On the upside, it was over quickly once we got in. We had to see the actual doctor for this test, which, I'm guessing, is why we had to wait 40 minutes past our appointment time. Now, our doctor is a very good doctor, and usually friendly, but rushed. That's fine, she's has lots of patients and lots of responsibilities; i expect her to be busy. What I don't expect is to be completely ignored as she blows off steam with the sonographer about how she can't get hold of another doctor who she needs to ask a favor of. I also do not expect to be left on the table with a speculum in while she leaves the room to answer her cell phone. On top of this, the procedure itself was very painful, though short, and I think the rush she was in and the infrequency with which they perform these test made it more painful than it needed to be.

We found out from the test that my tubes are fine, so that's not the problem. This leaves us no closer to figuring out what *is* the problem, if there is a problem at all. I mean, we've only tried three times with decent timing, and lots of people without any fertility problems take as many tries. But anyway, without knowing if there is anything really wrong or not, the next step we are taking is for me to take glucophage, which is a diabetes drug. The doctor warned me that I would most likely feel like absolute crap while taking it. This is because it lowers your blood sugar. Now, to me, it seems like if it's making you feel crappy, it must be lowering it too much, but I guess I'm wrong about that, since she told me to expect it. Whatever. We now get to skip this cycle and next cycle to give the glucophage a chance to work, and try again in april.

No comments: